Cross-cultural competences on board ships
Seafarers have to work with a wide range of different cultures, on board as well as in port. Not knowing the cultural differences of the people involved can lead to a large number of misunderstandings, unnecessary controversies and evitable accidents. Everything you learn in this course can be used in critical situations on board as well as in everyday life. Cross-cultural competences are enormously helpful for a future career ashore.
The aim of this e-course is to prepare participants for cross-cultural issues on board and to sensitise them to the origins of cross-cultural misunderstandings.
This e-course will run completely online and can be used in a flexible way. You can follow your own learning tempo, intensity and style and you can therefore flexibly integrate this course into your individual daily schedule. Exercises and quizzes can be completed online within the context of the course and are evaluated on the spot.
- Target groups: Potential and current workforce on board and ashore; employees in the maritime industry. The prerequisites for these e-courses correspond to a general level of knowledge.
- Course progression: The e-courses run 100% online.
- Learning Workload: 45 hours
- Starting date: anytime
- Costs: none
- Language: English
When you are interested in a maritime career or are currently working on board or onshore: stay up-to-date with the latest developments and skills and take the chance to advance your career with these education offers!
After having completed the course, you are able to:
- face the intercultural challenges on board in a more efficient way than before
- continue developing your intercultural competences on board and ashore
- avoid misunderstandings caused by cultural differences in the culturally diverse working environment
- define, acknowledge and utilise the advantages of the variety of cultures on board and ashore
- embrace cultural diversity and act in a positive way in culturally diverse working environments
- improve safety on board by ensuring a better understanding and increasing team cohesion among crew members as well as between the crew and the shore-based personnel
- avoid cross-cultural blunders
- understand the complexities of cross cultural issues and be pro-active in seeking resolutions
- reflect on your own actions and continue to learn
How to enrol
Go to http://knowme.oncampus.de and create your account. Each e-course currently has an enrolment key. In the e-course’s description you will find an enrolment key to log into the e-course.